Notes from the 2014 Neighborhood Economics Conference
Presenter, Melissa Long:
- Wake up to our oneness
- Feel a sense of purpose
- Feel connected to each other
- Experience interdependence
- Feel connected to the natural world
- Gross National Happiness index
- Book resource- Lovers and Givers by Grant
- Why not choose to buy milk from a farmer who chooses to kiss the goat’s ears because it makes the milk sweeter?
- Awakening the heart of the entrepreneur
- Put a generosity warrant onto investments
- Invest in a small business
- How to build community prosperity
- Local first
- Shared ownership
- Opportunity for all
- Innovation for good
- Soil and nature
- Communal capital
- Localist policies
- Magic and Soul
- How do we ward against gentrification?
- Shift from personal prosperity to community prosperity. “Pull $ out of wall street and invest in real businesses that are building the economy we need.”
- Catalyze the courage of your hearts
- Cultivate the ability to see each other
- Your story matters
- The Greater Good Science Center @ Berkley
Presenters James Johnson-Piett and Sara day Evans
- Deep connection to place
- “Marshalling the idea of a new economy”
- “How can communities own the things that matter?” JJP
- We are tired of the poverty porn that the media puts out! SDE ***YES!***
- “What are the underground, informal economics that are happening in the neighborhood that contribute to financial and/or relational economy?” JJP
Presenters Ivan Gonzalez and Darin Petersen
- “There is a way to organize an economy that results in all of creation flourishing” IG
- “When considering Goods, products, and services, ask yourself, ‘How does this help me build a deeper relationship with people.” IG
- Could there be a day that there is a fuller expression….of everyone flourishing?
- “It is not that rich folks and poor folks don’t care about one another, it is that they don’t know
- “There is quiet excitement and possibility of doing life in a different way.” IG
- “Neighborhood economics don’t develop over night. They develop over time.” IG
- Stop in to every business within one mile of your house and spend money.
Presenter James Johnson-Piett
- How do you translate a business strategy into an emotion?
- Transformative relationships, transformative performance, neighborhood impact
Presenter John Pattison
- Food+ Money+Meaning
- Taste education- reteach ourselves what food really tastes like
- What small acts of faithfulness does our love of this place require of us as a community of faith?
- Has the American church become the chaplain of Empire rather than a demonstration plot of the Kingdom of God?
- Faithfulness= quality, not quantity- has to be our final standard
- There are a lot of conservative Christians that oppose the teaching of evolution in schools yet accept without challenge the teaching of economic Darwinism that leaves behind the orphan, widow, and marginalized.
- Practice diverse and peaceable conversation in a fragmented world.
Presenter Joy Anderson
- Questions of Spiritual Formation
- How do we make this stuff stick?
- Shouldn’t this be the work of the church?
- This is hard/scary work. What equips us to do this work? This is long distance running, not sprints.
- The Thousand Churches
- Criterion Institute
Presenter Robin Paoli
- What does good look like?
- Transformational index
- What we measure matters. What do we measure? Is it the right thing?
- If we judge a fish by how well it climbs a tree, the fish will feel stupid all its life.
- Measurement is what unites funders of mission.